Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Nutrition S'Mart - Worth the Trip

A few weeks ago, I was visiting family in Fort Myers.  While I was there, I was introduced to a new brand of gluten-free bread (which I'll be blogging about shortly).  When I got home, I decided to see if it was in any local stores.  I visited the company's website, and that led me to visit Nutrition S'Mart, out in Pembroke Pines.
Nutrition S'Mart

It's a drive west for me, but I had an afternoon off, and it only took about 25 minutes from downtown Fort Lauderdale.  And boy, was it worth the trip!  They have the greatest assortment of gluten-free foods I have ever seen under one roof.

There are "gluten free" sections, as well as products in the shelves in the appropriate sections.  But don't worry, Nutrition S'Mart has clearly labeled the shelves, so it's easy to find GF foods in any section of the store!

Not only do they have a wide variety of GF baking supplies and pastas, they also have prepared foods.  I've been grumbling ever since Whole Foods stopped carrying GF pie crusts; well, I know where to get them now.
And you don't have to trek all the way to Pembroke Pines; they have locations in Palm Beach Gardens, Port St. Lucie, and will soon be opening a store in Miami Gardens.  And if you're on the Gulf Coast, there are locations around Tampa/St. Pete.

I'll be reviewing some of the goodies I found today; a lot of them are new to me, and I'm curious to see what they're like.  But don't wait on me; if you can't find a pasta or a bread or cookies that you like at Whole Foods, head out to Nutrition S'Mart.

0 comments:

About This Blog

A guide to living Gluten-Free in metropolitan South Florida.

I'm not looking to become "Gluten-Free Guy" and wax lyrical on the joys of living with celiac disease, nor am I interested in compiling a recipe book. I just know how hard it is to find the foods we like and safe places to eat.

A few years ago, I created the South Florida Theatre Scene, so people could find reviews, articles, and theatre websites all in one place. And that's what I want to do with Gluten-Free South Florida.

About Celiac Disease/Gluten Free Diet

Celiac disease, also known as gluten intolerance, is a genetic disorder that affects 1 in 133 Americans. Symptoms of celiac disease can range from the classic features, such as diarrhea, weight loss, and malnutrition, to latent symptoms such as isolated nutrient deficiencies but no gastrointestinal symptoms.

The only acceptable treatment for celiac disease is strict adherence to a 100% gluten-free diet for life. An adherence to a gluten-free diet can prevent almost all complications caused by the disease. A gluten-free diet means avoiding all products that contain wheat, rye and barley, or any of their derivatives. This is a difficult task as there are many hidden sources of gluten found in the ingredients of many processed foods.
- Scott Adams, Celiac.com
Powered by WebRing.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP